a new map of the seat of the war in the netherlands.
Copper engraving with original wash colour.
Published, 12th May, 1794 by Laurie and Whittle, 53 Fleet Street, London.
Image size: 490 x 660mm approx.
Generally good/very good condition: central fold, as issued; some toning to the central fold.
This map extends from Rotterdam in the north; Neufchatel in the south; Juliers in the east; Boulogne in the west, covering French Flanders, Picardy, Liege, Champagne and part of Luxembourg. It shows the theatre of war in the area during the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic wars.
Robert Laurie (1755-1836) and James Whittle (1757-1818) were a prominent partnership of print and map publishers in late eighteenth and early nineteenth century London. In 1794 they took over the business of their former employer Robert Sayer including the address in Bolt Court, Fleet Steet, London. When Robert Laurie retired from the firm in 1812 his place was taken by Richard Holmes Laurie (1777-1858). Upon his death the firm was bought by Alexander George Findlay, FRGS (1812-1875). It continued in the Fleet Street premises until 1895. In 1904 it merged with James Imray & Son and Norie & Wilson to become Imray, Laurie, Norie & Wilson at 156 Minories, publishers of nautical pilot books and charts. In 1939, the firm moved to Wych House, St Ives, Huntingdonshire, and specialised in yachting charts. In May 2020, much of the remaining stock was sold at auction. See: BM under ‘Robert Sayer’.