Cranbrook Mill, Kent
Watercolour signed C. R. Compton, 1934
14 1/4" x 10 1/2"
Generally good condition throughout. Some staining to the sky, but not especially distracting. Laid on cartridge support.
A charmingly naive watercolour with a curiously distorted perspective of the lane looking towards the mill. The cottage vernacular of weatherboarding, red brick and painted render, enhanced by creeper-clad walls, white picket fence, lean-to greenhouse and hollyhocks suggest an archetypal idyllic pre-war English village. However, the faceless figures in the doorways, particularly the female cottager on the right staring sightlessly at the viewer - who may well be awaiting the arrival of Miss Marple - add a slightly unreal air, suggesting that all may not be as it seems.
Union Mill Cranbrook, the tallest smock mill in England, was built in 1814 for Mary Dobell. Mrs Dobell was declared bankrupt in 1819 and the mill was taken over by a union of her creditors. This arrangement gave the windmill its name. It was subsequently bought by the Russell family in 1832 who worked the mill until 1957 when John Russell, the fifth generation miller, retired. In 1958 the mill was purchased by Kent County Council who embarked upon its restoration and it remains in working order today.
£85.00 unmounted, unframed.