HMS Victory (First Rate) 104 Guns
Black and white etching, dated 1828, drawn and etched by E.W. Cooke (1811-1877). Published as part of Shipping and Craft, 1829.
Image size: 6 3/4" x 8 1/4"
Generally very good condition throughout.
A very finely detailed portrait of HMS Victory afloat in Portsmouth Harbour. Alongside her port bow a collier lies. Other ships of the line and smaller craft are seen off in the distance.
HMS Victory was laid down in 1759 and launched in 1765. She is most famous as Lord Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805, but erstwhile served as Keppel's flagship at Ushant, Howe's flagship at Cape Spartel and Jervis's flagship at Cape St Vincent. After 1824 she served as a harbour ship. In 1922 she was moved to a dry dock at Portsmouth, England, and preserved as a museum ship. She continues to be flagship of the Second Sea Lord and is the oldest naval ship still in commission.