View of the Cascade at Briars
Anonymous aquatint with original hand colouring.
Published by Colburn & Co., 1 January 1824, as a frontispiece to Volume 3 of Count Las Cases' Journal of the Private Life and Conversations of the Emperor Napoleon at St Helena.
Image size: 4 1/8" x 6 5/8" plus title and margins.
Generally good condition; the aquatint grain very fine and the colour subtle and exquisitely executed.
One of a delicious quartet of views depicting St Helena during the time of Napoleon's exile. Briars was the small pavilion owned by William Balcombe, an English merchant in which Napoleon stayed for the first few weeks of his captivity on Saint Helena. Balcombe's young daughter Betsy befriended the exiled Emperor. Balcombe and his family were obliged by Governor Lowe to leave the island in 1818. Thereafter, it was used as the home for the Admiral on duty in the station.
£240.00 set of four aquatints, unmounted, unframed