View of ... the LONDON & GREENWICH VIADUCT
Black and white 'zincograph', 'From Nature and on zinc by A.R. Grieve' and 'Printed from Zinc by Chapman & Co. Patentees, 27, Cornhill'. Not dated, but published c.1835. Inscribed to Abel Rous Dollin, Esqr. M.P. Chairman, John Twells, Esqr. Deputy Chairman, and the Directors of the Company, This View of that portion of the London & Greenwich Viaduct which crosses Corbett's Lane, ... by the Company's obedient Servant, A.R. Grieve.
Image sizes: 4 1/4" x 7 5/8" above - 2" x 7" below. Mounted in acid-free board and framed in 'ivory-like' moulding.
Generally good condition, though the zincograph has been trimmed to within its platemark. The lower panel shows a manuscripted coat of arms of the London and Greenwich Railway. The viaduct at Corbett's Lane, in Bermondsey, south-east London was built by the contractor Hugh McIntosh, who employed 400 navvies and used sixty million bricks to construct the it, using more than 100,000 per day, creating a shortage for other building activities in London. Work started on the foundations in February 1834, and in places they had to dig down 24 feet to get a firm foundation for the arches. The first experimental trains were run in 1835. The structure was not however completed until December 1836, due to delays in obtaining materials for the Bermondsey Street bridge near to London Bridge. As originally constructed the viaduct included a 'pedestrian boulevard' where users could walk for a penny toll, but this was quickly replaced by an additional running line. The viaduct included the stations of London Bridge, Spa road and Bermondsey (closed 1915) and Deptford. A further station on top of the viaduct at Southwark Park was opened in 1902, but also closed in 1915. Source: London Bridge-Greenwich Railway Viaduct - Revolvy.