A British Liner RMS Caronia
Chromolithograph printed in Holland by Emrik and Binger, published in The Boy's Own Paper, 1906.
Image size: 9 1/2" x 32" plus margins.
Overall condition generally good for age. Original vertical folds, as issued. Some foxing to folds. Lower margin dog-eared though not affecting image or title. Sympathetically conserved.
Beautifully printed in colours, this extraordinarily detailed cut-away view of RMS Caronia depicts every aspect of life on board an Edwardian ocean liner in meticulous detail; presenting a microcosm of society from the first class passengers amid the the potted palms of their state rooms to the stokers down in the bowels of the ship fuelling the furnaces. The enomous quanitties of provisions required for such voyages are illustrated by the numerous barrels, crates and sacks stowed below in the cavernous holds; the racks of carcasses of meat and the sheer tonnage of coal.
RMS Caronia was a British ocean liner built for Cunard by John Brown & Co, Glasgow. She was launched on 13 July 1904. Her maiden voyage left Liverpool on bound for New York, and embarked on a life as a cruise liner. Caronia and her sister ship Carmania were known as 'The Pretty Sisters' and were the largest vessels in the Cunard fleet.
At 9am on 4 April 1912 RMS Caronia sent the first warning message to RMS Titanic alerting of "bergs, growlers and field ice."
At the start of the Great War, on 8 August 1914, Caronia was commissioned into the Royal Navy as an armed merchant cruiser. She was returned to Cunard in 1916, refitted and then unexpectedly requisitioned by the Britsh government as a troopship. After the war she resumed the Liverpool-New York run, but by 1931 she was no longer profitable and was laid up in Sheerness. Her final voyage on 12 September 1932 left London bound for New York. She was subsequently renamed Taiseiyo Maru and sailed to Osaka in Japan where she was scrapped in 1933.