Greenwich & Environs
A Map of the Hundred of Blackheath. Second Edition.
Copper engraving with hand colour. Published in the second edition of Edward Hasted's History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent, 1799.
Image size: 13" x 15" approx, plus margins.
Generally good condition throughout. Original folds, as issued. Some offsetting, as expected. Some sensitive restoration of missing margins.
Shows the north west Kent. Extent: Deptford, Woolwich, Eltham, Sydenham. It depicts the roads, woodlands, rivers and some idea of the contours. Also, the distances from central London on a scale of two inches to the mile. The division of Kent into Lathes and Hundreds dates back to Saxon times but was not fully established until the thirteenth century. Each hundred consisted of several parishes grouped together with a 'court' or meeting place where the inhabitants dealt with routine judicial, security and tenancy matters. The grouping of hundreds into Lathes was for judicial purposes; the justices travelled around the lathe every three months to deal with more serious matters - the origins of the Quarter Sessions.
The second of edition of Hasted's map is of greater interest than the first for the additional additional information it contains. Wrickles Marsh, Gregory Page-Turner's estate in Blackheath, is here described as "In Ruins" and "Disparked", and the part of Kent on the north bank of the Thames is here identified as 'Marshes'.
£500 mounted, unframed.