Greenwich & Environs
A Map of the Hundred of Blackheath. First Edition.
Copper engraving with subtle, subdued old hand colour. From the first edition of Edward Hasted's History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent, published 1778.
Image size: 13" x 15 1/4", plus margins.
Generally good condition throughout. Original vertical fold, as issued. Uniform age staining to paper.
Shows the north west of Kent, with an extent of Deptford, Woolwich, Sydenham, Eltham. It depicts the roads, woodlands, rivers and gives some idea of the contours. Also, the distances from central London on a scale of two inches to the mile. The division of Kent into Lathes and Hundreds dates back to Saxon times but was not fully established until the thirteenth century. Each hundred consisted of several parishes grouped together with a 'court' or meeting place where the inhabitants dealt with routine judicial, security and tenancy matters. The grouping of hundreds into Lathes was for judicial purposes; the justices travelled around the lathe every three months to deal with more serious matters - the origins of the Quarter Sessions.