Greenwich & Environs
Greenwich, Blackheath and Environs, 1746
Modern facsimile by photo-lithography of a detail from the copper engraving from An Exact Survey of the Citys of London and Westminster ye Borough of Southwarke and the Country Near Ten Miles Round, published by John Roque, 1746.
Image size: 20 1/2” x 15 3/4” plus margins - (A2).
This early map of the area shows fields, market gardens and grand estates, most notably, Wricklemarsh on the south side of the Heath, home of Gregory Page, Esq. Many descriptive place names have changed: ‘Dowagers Bottom’ is now more familiar as Tranquil Vale. Wricklemarsh has disappeared; Blackheath has grown up in it place. ‘Brazen Face Walk’ in Greenwich Park conjures wonderful images of the Park in the past. Lime Kiln Lane hints at the importance of mortar in the developing City. Another singular feature are the gallows in full view of Thames craft passing the Isle of Dogs.