Greenwich & Environs
Edward Hasted: A Map of the Hundred of Blackheath
Lithographic reproduction with hand colour of the original copper engraved map, first published by Edward Hasted as part of his History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent (1778–99).
Image size: 13 3/4" x 16" plus mount and frame.
Good condition throughout. The colour is done by hand and is both accurate and sensitve to the period. This map was first published by Warwick Leadlay Gallery in the early 1980s, though no other copies now remain our stock.
Shows the of north-west Kent. Extent: Deptford, Woolwich, Eltham, Sydenham. It depicts the roads, woodlands rivers and some idea of the contours. Also the distances from central London on a scale of 2" to the mile. The division of Kent into Lathes and Hundreds dates back to Saxon times but was not fully established until the thirteenth century. Each hundred consisted of several parishes grouped together with a 'court' or meeting place where the inhabitants dealt with routine judicial, security and tenency matters. The grouping of hundreds into Lathes was for judicial purposes; the justices travelled around the lathe every three months to deal with more serious matters - the origins of the Quarter Sessions.
For further information see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundred_of_Blackheath,_Kent